We are looking for a talented Software Engineer (IoT/Big Data) (m/f) to join our growing R&D Centre of Excellence in Adaptant Labs, Adaptant’s central Research & Development unit. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in IoT and Big Data technologies and will have experience working with Cloud technologies. This position will be responsible for the development of new privacy-preserving frameworks and applications at the network Edge (Fog Computing), across a range of verticals (Connected Car, Transport & ITS, etc.)
- Lead the development of innovative research prototypes that directly drive products
- Work with technologies such as Apache Spark and Ranger, Kubernetes, OpenStack, IoTivity
- Actively contribute back to the respective Open Source communities of each component
- Liaise with relevant standards bodies to synchronise efforts (e.g. OCF, ETSI ISG MEC, OASIS, etc.)
- Work closely with product development teams from requirements analysis through to technology transfer to ensure direct application of research results.
- Constructively collaborate with other teams, stakeholders, and end-users
Knowledge & Experience
- At least 3 years of professional experience in cloud-based software design and implementation
- At least 3 years of experience in the following technologies:
- NoSQL Databases
- Modular architecture (SOA/Cloud/SaaS) design and development
- Automated test frameworks and tools
- Experience building IoT or sensor-based applications
- Experience with open source IoT frameworks (e.g. IoTivity) a plus
- Experience with web front-end and/or mobile app development a plus
- Knowledge and experience with Big data frameworks (Apache Spark, Ranger)
- Knowledge of and experience with Cloud technologies, APIs, and services
- Previous experience working with and contributing to Open Source
- Knowledge of Edge/Fog Computing (MEC), Cloudlets, and Edge Analytics a strong plus
- Knowledge of Privacy-by-Design (PbD) principles a plus
Skills & Abilities
- Fluent written and spoken English;
- Open for short-term travels within the EU;
- Ability to write clean, well structured, and re-usable code;
- Ability to adapt to changing demands and requirements;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure.
Working hours are flexible, and remote work (up to 50%) is a possibility for the right candidate.
After gaining some experience within the organisation, Software Engineers have the ability to progress into more senior roles, with the potential to carve out teams of their own, eventually taking ownership of specific technology areas across the organisation. Owing to the hands-on and dynamic nature of the start-up environment, they also have the ability to develop cross-disciplinary knowledge and to develop professionally, while also having the opportunity for lateral movement into related disciplines.
This position is open to a range of applicants and experience levels, with additional or fewer responsibilities possible dependent upon the candidate.